Ford Escape Wheel Locks Question

Tires, rims, lugs, wheel locks, detailing, more

Ford Escape Wheel Locks Question

Postby vpasla1 - April 17th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I had a question about the OEM Wheel Locks on the Ford Escape. I have a 2nd Generation Escape. I have searched the forum and I wasn't able to find any information about this, and there were only very few posts talking about wheel locks in general.

I want to preface this post with the fact that I understand that if someone wanted to steal wheels, the OEM wheel locks wouldn't put up much of a fight. The way I look at it is that they are more of a theft deterrent. A thief would rather deal with a vehicle that doesn't have wheel locks versus one that does and if someone is looking for more security for their wheels, their best bet would be to go with specialty aftermarket wheel locks.

Onto my question, I was able to pick up a set of OEM Wheel Locks (Part Number: F6SZ-1A043-AA - can be found here: https://accessories.ford.com/chrome-pla ... -8783.html) for a reasonable price and I was wondering why the wheel locks are extended in length compared to the other lug nuts.

I haven't done any measurements of the wheel lock length vs the lug nut but I have also seen the same style of wheel locks on an F-150 and also an Edge and they do stick out noticeably. I have not seen any other automaker that uses an OEM wheel lock that is longer than the existing lug nuts.

Is there a specific reason why they are made this way? Wouldn't this just make it easier for someone to put an over-sized socket over them if they wanted to take them off? I would appreciate some insight on this.

Thanks.
vpasla1

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Ford Escape Wheel Locks Question

Postby jaywish - April 18th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Hi,

These are the same locks. McGard sells them to Ford. I added them to mine. When they are on the car they don't really appear that noticable unless you are looking specifically at the wheel lugs. These are for aluminum rims, not steel. Not sure what the generations are but these will fit an 05 and they are the same on the 12. probably the same all the way back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McGard-M12x1-5-Locking-Wheel-Lug-Nuts-Key-3-4-13-16-Hex-Set-of-4/132312551092?epid=115128966&hash=item1ece714eb4:g:-goAAOSwkklZpy5S&vxp=mtr

BTW they make very nice solid lugs. You can get a complete lug/lock kit if you want. Just remember to buy a spare key.

jay
12 Ford Escape AWD Limited Silver/Charcoal 302a, 17" wheels+Cooper CS5 ultra, Park Assist, Mods-> steps, 16" 6 spokes+Cooper Discoverer Sport M+S snows, Compustar Alarm/Remote Start, Husky floor & trunk liners, Centric front drilled, slotted, cryo rotors & Wagner OEX1047B pads.
89 Merc Grand Marquis Colony Park GTLS, Light Adobe/Tan, Mods = HO, Explorer intake, SS Duals, big brakes fore & aft, auto air shocks, posi, Hella H1's & H2's, 16" HPP rims, police sway, aluminum driveshaft, tranny cooler etc.
03 Merc Marauder DPB/Charcoal, HS, 6disk, spoiler, organizer Mods = M&Z control arms, oil deflector, SilverStars, U-Haul Tranny Pan
02 Mercedes SL500 Silver Arrow.
08 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited with HID's Mods = posi, Z rated Cooper 235/55-17 Zeon RS3-A tires, Addco 1" rear Sway, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter 05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Jay
My vehicle: 2012 Escape Limited Awd

Postby vpasla1 - April 28th, 2018, 5:42 pm

That's interesting that McGard makes them in that size on their own. I'm pretty sure McGard makes most of the OEM locks for Manufacturers.

I wanted to add that I mounted them and they're actually almost the same length as the existing OEM lug nuts. They look longer because they have a longer body, but the seat portion is shorter than the OEM lug nuts so the length overall ends up being similar.

I took some pictures but they're not on my phone so I'll add them next time I log in on the PC .

UPDATE: Here's a picture of how it sits compared to the OEM lug nuts.
vpasla1

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby Rime of AM - April 29th, 2019, 5:48 pm

I have McGard locks on mine also.
I envy your wheels! LOL
Black on Black 2010 LTD V6 AWD K&N, roof rack ribs, Mustang Bullitts (summer), Stock Chromies (chrome peeling and relegated to winter duty), Ebay tailgate spoiler.

"Quid, Me Anxius Sum?"
:bill:
Rime of AM

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2010 LTD

Postby jaywish - October 4th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I usually add these locks to my cars. I like their wheel lugs which are solid as opposed to capped. Though the escape lugs actually seem to hold up pretty well compared to the SAE ones provided on many fords.
12 Ford Escape AWD Limited Silver/Charcoal 302a, 17" wheels+Cooper CS5 ultra, Park Assist, Mods-> steps, 16" 6 spokes+Cooper Discoverer Sport M+S snows, Compustar Alarm/Remote Start, Husky floor & trunk liners, Centric front drilled, slotted, cryo rotors & Wagner OEX1047B pads.
89 Merc Grand Marquis Colony Park GTLS, Light Adobe/Tan, Mods = HO, Explorer intake, SS Duals, big brakes fore & aft, auto air shocks, posi, Hella H1's & H2's, 16" HPP rims, police sway, aluminum driveshaft, tranny cooler etc.
03 Merc Marauder DPB/Charcoal, HS, 6disk, spoiler, organizer Mods = M&Z control arms, oil deflector, SilverStars, U-Haul Tranny Pan
08 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited with HID's Mods = posi, Z rated Cooper 235/55-17 Zeon RS3-A tires, Addco 1" rear Sway, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter 05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Rime of AM - October 6th, 2019, 8:59 pm

^^What Jay said, I replaced the lugs at the same time.
Black on Black 2010 LTD V6 AWD K&N, roof rack ribs, Mustang Bullitts (summer), Stock Chromies (chrome peeling and relegated to winter duty), Ebay tailgate spoiler.

"Quid, Me Anxius Sum?"
:bill:
Rime of AM

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2010 LTD

Postby bangster - October 6th, 2019, 9:49 pm

A set for my 2012 Fusion, 2015 Fusion, and 2017 Escape.
There are a few on my 2017 Escape, that only goes to the dealer, that in the 4 wheel rotations it has had, about 10 lug nuts are so hard to get a socket on. I don't live where it rusts or freezes, it is only from the quick lane guys hitting it sloppily with impacts. I had the same capped lugs nuts on 3 other Fords for a combined 35 years and they were okay.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby jaywish - October 12th, 2019, 7:16 pm

If those are the Mcgard are they still USA?
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2

Return to Tires And Rims