Escape OEM TPMS compatibility

Tires, rims, lugs, wheel locks, detailing, more

Escape OEM TPMS compatibility

Postby Heywood_F - May 22nd, 2018, 9:06 pm

Hello:

I have an '08 Escape with the original 16" alloy rims and TPMS (band type, I believe). I want to get a matching second set of rims for snow tires - what year Escape rims/TPMS are compatible with the '08s?

Thanks!
Heywood_F

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2008 Escape V6 Limited AWD

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Escape OEM TPMS compatibility

Postby jaywish - May 22nd, 2018, 10:25 pm

I know 08-12 work.
12 Ford Escape AWD Limited Silver/Charcoal 302a, 17" wheels+Cooper CS5 ultra, Park Assist, Mods-> steps, 16" 6 spokes+Cooper Discoverer Sport M+S snows, Compustar Alarm/Remote Start, Husky floor & trunk liners, Centric front drilled, slotted, cryo rotors & Wagner OEX1047B pads.
89 Merc Grand Marquis Colony Park GTLS, Light Adobe/Tan, Mods = HO, Explorer intake, SS Duals, big brakes fore & aft, auto air shocks, posi, Hella H1's & H2's, 16" HPP rims, police sway, aluminum driveshaft, tranny cooler etc.
03 Merc Marauder DPB/Charcoal, HS, 6disk, spoiler, organizer Mods = M&Z control arms, oil deflector, SilverStars, U-Haul Tranny Pan
02 Mercedes SL500 Silver Arrow.
08 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited with HID's Mods = posi, Z rated Cooper 235/55-17 Zeon RS3-A tires, Addco 1" rear Sway, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter 05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Jay
My vehicle: 2012 Escape Limited Awd

Postby jaywish - May 22nd, 2018, 10:42 pm

12 Ford Escape AWD Limited Silver/Charcoal 302a, 17" wheels+Cooper CS5 ultra, Park Assist, Mods-> steps, 16" 6 spokes+Cooper Discoverer Sport M+S snows, Compustar Alarm/Remote Start, Husky floor & trunk liners, Centric front drilled, slotted, cryo rotors & Wagner OEX1047B pads.
89 Merc Grand Marquis Colony Park GTLS, Light Adobe/Tan, Mods = HO, Explorer intake, SS Duals, big brakes fore & aft, auto air shocks, posi, Hella H1's & H2's, 16" HPP rims, police sway, aluminum driveshaft, tranny cooler etc.
03 Merc Marauder DPB/Charcoal, HS, 6disk, spoiler, organizer Mods = M&Z control arms, oil deflector, SilverStars, U-Haul Tranny Pan
08 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited with HID's Mods = posi, Z rated Cooper 235/55-17 Zeon RS3-A tires, Addco 1" rear Sway, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter 05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Heywood_F - May 23rd, 2018, 12:17 am

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing - can I put a set of, say, 2010 Escape OEM rims on a 2008 Escape and have the vehicle recognize the TPMS?

If memory serves, 2008 used the band-style TPMS and later models used the stem-style, but are they interchangeable?

Thanks
Heywood_F

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby jaywish - May 25th, 2018, 6:35 am

I checked my notes last night. I did not mix 08 & 12 sensors. Three winters ago I bought a set of used 12 rims which were the same design as the ones on my old 08. Hence the confusion.

I do see they are both 315mhz transmitters for 08 band and 12 stem type, but I do not know if they will connect.

If you are going to put new tires on the replacement rims It will probably save you some hassle to have the sensors replaced before the new tires are mounted.
It seems the VDO/Continental semi-universal stem types are popular. I have been using them for 17 months on the Lincoln and the Ford with no issues.
jaywish

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby vpasla1 - July 25th, 2018, 7:31 pm

As far as I understand from reading on this forum, the band type sensors from the 2008 escape and the stem type sensors from the 2009+ are not compatible with each other.
vpasla1

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Captain Chris - December 3rd, 2019, 1:11 am

vpasla1 wrote:As far as I understand from reading on this forum, the band type sensors from the 2008 escape and the stem type sensors from the 2009+ are not compatible with each other.

I have an 'O8 Mariner with band type TPMS with a dead battery (since last March), and have NO idea how old they are: They WERE all working when I bought the car less than a year ago (Jan '19), so, a little hard to believe all 4 lasted over 10 years...

I also would really like to know what my replacement options are, and trying to get research/info' from neutral sources.

Thanx Much!

CC, Over!
Last edited by Captain Chris on December 5th, 2019, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Chris

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My nickname: Captain Chris
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner
My vehicle's name: The Car with No Name!

Postby Heywood_F - December 3rd, 2019, 9:05 pm

Short answer - I don't have the part number handy - if I find the receipt I will post it.
Long answer - While the 08 (band style) and new sensors (stem style) are not compatible, there are universal ones that will work with both production year ranges.

About 2 months ago I had a TPMS sensor fail in my '08 Escape. My tire guy advised me not to replace the original band sensor. Supposedly they were still available, but nearly $200CDN each. Price aside, the primary reason was that the OEM sensors likely had not been made in 10 years, and the batteries would be suspect. He removed the old sensor, leaving the band attached to the rim, installed a universal stem model and re-balanced the tire. The car doesn't know the difference and I plan to repeat this as the old ones fail.
Heywood_F

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Captain Chris - December 5th, 2019, 4:35 am

Heywood_F wrote:Short answer - I don't have the part number handy - if I find the receipt I will post it.
Long answer - While the 08 (band style) and new sensors (stem style) are not compatible, there are universal ones that will work with both production year ranges.

About 2 months ago I had a TPMS sensor fail in my '08 Escape. My tire guy advised me not to replace the original band sensor. Supposedly they were still available, but nearly $200CDN each. Price aside, the primary reason was that the OEM sensors likely had not been made in 10 years, and the batteries would be suspect. He removed the old sensor, leaving the band attached to the rim, installed a universal stem model and re-balanced the tire. The car doesn't know the difference and I plan to repeat this as the old ones fail.

OK, I would really like to know that part number.

I THINK I have found Band Style replacements for less than $50 US (see below...), but (as with residential smoke detectors), it certainly makes sense to find out when they have been made.

So, if you had BOTH front ones gone bad (or both rear ones...?), would it make sense to remove the dead sensors? You probably wouldn't want to be asymmetrical, but if both are bad, I don't see the point in having all that dead weight swinging around.

Unfortunately, I don't plan on having these tires off anytime soon...so, if it were possible to get a compatible stem-mounted sensor, I THINK (come Spring, I guess...) I could manage to mount it myself, and then just pay for re-balancing.

Bottom line is, for the present, AND the future, I like the idea of the stem-mounted units much better, if I can get ones that will work!

Here's what I found:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-tpm23a/

and

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/fo ... 189-a.html

Thanks!

CC, Over!
Captain Chris

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Captain Chris - December 27th, 2019, 10:19 pm

...CC, Radio Check, OVER!
...anyone got anything else on this?

Thanks, CC, over!
Captain Chris

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next

Return to Tires And Rims