best $15 I have spent on any of my cars lately

Tires, rims, lugs, wheel locks, detailing, more

best $15 I have spent on any of my cars lately

Postby bangster - October 29th, 2019, 5:43 pm

My daughter got suckered into replacing hers when she took it in for a flat repair, $45 bucks (I had a set to send her when she got her winter tires put on...) later she hopefully got 20 new ones.

Even just with 5 rotations and more or less ideal environment (basically dry southwestern desert) the lug nuts on my 2017 Escape are difficult to get a socket on (and off). Dealer and I am the only ones to have touched them.

Since my 2012 Fusion, the 2015 Fusion I didn't get to install them on before a tire shop did, and my 2017 Escape all use the same ones, I bought a couple sets.

No, they are not name brand. Yes they were 15 bucks. The threads look good, the finish looks good, and they are not capped.

The old ones are off my 2012 Fusion, even at 115k I am sure it has had less tire rotations than my 2017 Escape at 50k.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: best $15 I have spent on any of my cars lately

Postby smario259 - November 18th, 2019, 1:53 pm

The short ones will not work if you use steel rims. But yes those with an all-around cap don't last long. In addition to bulging, the stress from torquing them with sockets will shear them off after several years. Those with a cap just at the tip will last longer.
smario259

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2005 Escape XLT V6
My vehicle's name: Rusty Crusty

Re: best $15 I have spent on any of my cars lately

Postby bangster - November 18th, 2019, 2:15 pm

The new ones are the one on the right, slightly taller than OEM (but to be far, thicker at the end), but I tested it with a steel wheel and they are deep enough.

I don't live in an environment that the OEM ones will rust or expand, but on my car that goes to the dealer (17 Escape and "lifetime maintenance") for tire rotations, they are already beat up and a few that don't fit well with the factory jack handle/lug wrench.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Return to Tires And Rims