Gas mileage?

Discuss your Mercury Mariner here.

Re: Gas mileage?

Postby Knightrider03m - August 31st, 2015, 5:43 pm

RoadKnight wrote:
Knightrider03m wrote:My fuel use is in my sig as well...... things got much better after my last oil change.

I recently had my oil changed and noticed a jump in mpg as well.

How many miles do you have?

My oil change was done around 52-53K miles when I saw the jump.
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 1.5L
2017 Ford Fusion SE AWD 2.0L
2013 Ford Escape SE AWD 1.6L

I don’t work for Ford but I sure do love to drive a Ford

:)
Knightrider03m

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLT AWD
My vehicle's name: Angel

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby Heff_Me - March 12th, 2016, 1:33 pm

I got the 3.0 as well but I mange ~21.8mpg all year round and I live in Michigan
Heff_Me

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My nickname: Heff
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner

Postby Jay2TheRescue - February 12th, 2018, 9:35 am

Roof rack removal is a gain because roof racks generally are very messy aero wise. Usually, folks just remove the crossbars as that's the biggest gain. It could be 1 MPG, but you would need to compare several tanks to know for sure. Also, with Spring coming, your mileage should be tracking upward anyways, so you would need to compare your tanks after the roof rack removal to tanks from the same period last year.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby Captain Chris - September 28th, 2019, 1:51 am

Ok, well, I am feeling pretty good about my crate!
I don't note every gallon, like Ray', but I do check it about every 2 weeks.

I bought my '08 Mariner 3.0 FWD last winter as a crisis purchase: it had 240,ooo on it, and the guy running the mini-lot only wanted $1200 because it was a little beat up and it needed some parts...once I actually got front pads in; replaced lower control arms and tie rod ends on both sides, replaced the shredded front tires, and got it re-aligned (It had driven fine on dry pavement, but I barely kept it on the road in that first snowstorm!), I figured I should change rear shoes when it started making another whining noise when moving. There were no broken springs, just a little pebble jammed in and rubbing, but shoes were worn enough to change while I was in there!

After all that, I was happy to notice that dash message readout started rising from 19.7 to 20.3 mpg, but then I got stuck in a construction traffic jam: stop and go for 45 minutes!
Suddenly, when I was on my way home, I noticed it was down to 17.3! :?

So, next time I refilled, I reset it, and after driving about 30 miles highway, and 5 non highway it showed me 25.0 mpg! :thumb:

So I figure I am getting about 18 city/26 highway!
If not a little better! :yahoo:

Now, if only the transmission will hold up!
:shrug:
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Captain Chris
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner x 2!
My vehicle's name: No Name; No Fame!

Postby Captain Chris - January 17th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Jay2TheRescue wrote:You should do the math. Like I said, mine reads 2 MPG high. You may not be doing as well as you think you are.

Definitely a math-related issue!

Especially if you are running some alternate sized, or highly worn tires on the front: this will mean your tires have a lower circumference, and you won't be going as far for each rotation, as the sensor/counter is usually connected to the transmission, and has no idea what's going on with your tires.

I am running some pretty new Michelins, probably about 2/3 of tread remaining, and I have timed out against highway mile markers (5 miles is pretty accurate) showing my speedometer is reading about 3% high.

As for winter mileage, if you are getting a higher percentage of ethanol in your fuel, that can lower the mileage, but, it's there to improve air quality, and help a bit with minor amounts of condensation/water in fuel.

Have fun!

CC, Out!
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'! Keep these doggies Rollin'!
Captain Chris

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My nickname: Captain Chris
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner x 2!
My vehicle's name: No Name; No Fame!

Previous

Return to Mariner Manor