Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Gas mileage?

28K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Captain Chris 
#1 ·
What kind of mileage are y'all getting with a 3.0L V6?
Just recently got mine, and was a little surprised to find the onboard MPG calc averaging around 15.8 after a couple resets.

Does that sound normal to y'all? I drive pretty mixed hwy/city. 50/50 probably.

I haven't tried calculating the mileage by hand - maybe the built-in computer is inaccurate?

#2 ·
That's a bit low. Check www.fueleconomy.gov for the EPA estimates. But since you just got it check it after a few weeks and see how it changes. If you have the instantaneous MPG screen I'd recommend watching that as it can help teach you to drive efficiently. For example I have an '11 3.0 4x4 and get 20-21 mixed city highway. It'll even out over time probably

#3 ·
I drive an 04 Tribute. I used to get 16 but I now get 18 and I launch at almost every stoplight :D. I just reset my trip every time I fill up and divide that mileage by the gallons pumped after a double click. I do about 95% city. You want better mileage? Use ethanol free gas, do the spark plugs inflate your tires to 35-36 psi cold, use less AC and roll the windows down at 65 mph or less/ cycle the AC on and off as needed, Clean the MAF sensor and TB, modify how you drive.

#6 ·
I have never calculated it for my 11 awd 3.0 , but going by my readout it averages in the 21 to 22 range mostly suburban driving. In winter that drops to around 18.
If I reset it and cruise on some 45+ mph roads it will sit above 25.
Under 16 seems low but if you drive aggressively with the aircon on I would guess that would be about right.

#7 ·
RoadKnight said:
I have never calculated it for my 11 awd 3.0 , but going by my readout it averages in the 21 to 22 range mostly suburban driving. In winter that drops to around 18.
Under 16 seems low but if you drive aggressively with the aircon on I would guess that would be about right.
You should do the math. Like I said, mine reads 2 MPG high. You may not be doing as well as you think you are.

#8 ·
Jay2TheRescue said:
RoadKnight said:
You should do the math. Like I said, mine reads 2 MPG high. You may not be doing as well as you think you are.
Why not do what I do? Use basic mathematics. My manual states the capacity of my tank to be 16.1 US gallons. The manual also says that double clicking is when gas tank is completely filled. Reset the trip the next time you fill up and double click. The next time you fill up double click then look at your receipt take the mileage from the trip od and divide it by the fuel added to the tank. gas pumps are regularly serviced by pump technicians to ensure accuracy. It's an easy way to figure fuel economy no matter how low you like to run your tank.

#9 ·
I have kept detailed records of my MPG, saving and recording every gas receipt since I drove it off the lot with 4 miles on the odometer. Here are the stats on my 2012 3.0L two wheel drive...

Miles driven: 27,157.1
Fuel Used: 1,376.853 Gallons
MPG: 19.724037

MPG combined per EPA: 21
Less adjustment to EPA for E10: .735
Adjusted EPA Estimate: 20.265

And I am thrilled with 19.72 considering...
I have a few highway trips but almost all my driving is city and the worst kind, I live only 2.2 miles (which explains why my car is 45 months old and only has 27k miles)from work so a good part of my commute is not at peak operating temp and I work downtown so I encounter 5 lights in 2.2 miles. I never get to an efficient speed while commuting.

I try to avoid stopping at all costs, try to coast as much as possible to take advantage of the fuel cut off strategy. I NEVER NEVER go through any drive-thru, not the bank, not the dry cleaner, not to eat.

I am not a "hyper-miler" but I do use one extreme technique. When I start my car in the morning, I do it in neutral. Then, while the engine is idling high, I take my foot off the brake and roll down my sloped driveway, make the turn and get halfway up my street before the engine idles down and I put it in drive.

On the weekends, I do get to have some extended driving including some short highway romps. I get on it once in a while, and I mean full throttle 0-60 probably 2-3 times a month.

#10 ·
raysfan said:
I have kept detailed records of my MPG, saving and recording every gas receipt since I drove it off the lot with 4 miles on the odometer. Here are the stats on my 2012 3.0L two wheel drive...

Miles driven: 27,157.1
Fuel Used: 1,376.853 Gallons
MPG: 19.724037

MPG combined per EPA: 21
Less adjustment to EPA for E10: .735
Adjusted EPA Estimate: 20.265

And I am thrilled with 19.72 considering...
I have a few highway trips but almost all my driving is city and the worst kind, I live only 2.2 miles (which explains why my car is 45 months old and only has 27k miles)from work so a good part of my commute is not at peak operating temp and I work downtown so I encounter 5 lights in 2.2 miles. I never get to an efficient speed while commuting.

I try to avoid stopping at all costs, try to coast as much as possible to take advantage of the fuel cut off strategy. I NEVER NEVER go through any drive-thru, not the bank, not the dry cleaner, not to eat.

I am not a "hyper-miler" but I do use one extreme technique. When I start my car in the morning, I do it in neutral. Then, while the engine is idling high, I take my foot off the brake and roll down my sloped driveway, make the turn and get halfway up my street before the engine idles down and I put it in drive.

On the weekends, I do get to have some extended driving including some short highway romps. I get on it once in a while, and I mean full throttle 0-60 probably 2-3 times a month.
Wow, that much gas huh? I'm so glad I never kept those receipts! I got 151k so I don't even want to know. Your commute must be hard on the battery. I kinda do the same thing with my transmission, I will slip it into neutral at long lines or lights to save the transmission from too much slipping. I also make sure to turn OD off when going up/down hills. Doing both of these saves the transmission and gas.

#11 ·
Why not look at the link in my signature? You will see I have detailed records of every drop of fuel I have put in my Escape since I purchased it. I record what brand, octane rating, ethanol content, and location of the station. I also calculated my odometer offset, and factor that in when I enter my data.

AhuraMazda04 said:
Why not do what I do? Use basic mathematics. My manual states the capacity of my tank to be 16.1 US gallons. The manual also says that double clicking is when gas tank is completely filled. Reset the trip the next time you fill up and double click. The next time you fill up double click then look at your receipt take the mileage from the trip od and divide it by the fuel added to the tank. gas pumps are regularly serviced by pump technicians to ensure accuracy. It's an easy way to figure fuel economy no matter how low you like to run your tank.

#13 ·
Both my '01 and '03 get 19 all day with a lead foot.

I was driving for work the other day and had a 60 mile round trip and I was getting 24-26 on the highway. I've got an UltraGauge that I keep track with and we do the odo math

Still need to make an angled mount. Maybe I'll get it done at work tomorrow

#14 ·
AmericanPride said:

I was driving for work the other day and had a 60 mile round trip and I was getting 24-26 on the highway. I've got an UltraGauge that I keep track with and we do the odo math

Same I have a cinder block for a foot. On a side note, nice to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't sleep. :wall:

#16 ·
AhuraMazda04 said:
AmericanPride said:

Same I have a cinder block for a foot. On a side note, nice to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't sleep. :wall:
What's sleep?

#17 ·
AmericanPride said:
AhuraMazda04 said:
AmericanPride said:

What's sleep?
The thing when you close your eyes for an extended period of time and when you next open them you feel rested. It's an urban legend though.

#19 ·
AhuraMazda04 said:
AmericanPride said:
AhuraMazda04 said:
AmericanPride said:

What's sleep?
The thing when you close your eyes for an extended period of time and when you next open them you feel rested. It's an urban legend though.
I'm not familiar with said legend

#20 ·
2005 Mariner Lux. 3.0 - 4WD. I mostly drive in a suburban county North of St.Louis, so I'd say roughly 50/50 City/Highway, maybe 60/40.

78K, just shy of my 1st 10K miles (purchased 1 year ago this week with 68,8xx mi.)

Ready for this?? I haven't an idea of the MPG's this lil guy gets. I do drive "cautiously" meaning I avoid using the AC unless going steady, on the Highway. I don't gun it out of lights and stops. I keep up with routine maintenance..

I want the best for and most from this vehicle. I absolutely love this lil SUV. I def. take pride in it; just look at Sig. pic. (I think it looks nice, at least).. I digress.

Yea, so I dunno the MPGs lol. I love this vehicle tho :)

#21 ·
Midshift said:
2005 Mariner Lux. 3.0 - 4WD. I mostly drive in a suburban county North of St.Louis, so I'd say roughly 50/50 City/Highway, maybe 60/40.

78K, just shy of my 1st 10K miles (purchased 1 year ago this week with 68,8xx mi.)

Ready for this?? I haven't an idea of the MPG's this lil guy gets. I do drive "cautiously" meaning I avoid using the AC unless going steady, on the Highway. I don't gun it out of lights and stops. I keep up with routine maintenance..

If I can get 200 miles on a tank, I'm happy. (That might cause some of you to scratch your heads, or some might say/think that's fine/normal).

I want the best for and most from this vehicle. I absolutely love this lil SUV. I def. take pride in it; just look at Sig. pic. (I think it looks nice, at least).. I digress.

Yea, so I dunno the MPGs lol. I love this vehicle tho :)
I got those same tires! Aren't they great?! Only issue is that the lettering gets stained easily, I have found a great product for it though, Napa all-wheel cleaner works AMAZING with a hard plastic scrub brush. The letters on mine pop out now.

#22 ·
My 2006 with 112,500 miles still gets the same as it did when it was young. Best highway is 25 to 27 mpg and driving in the city it gets 20 to 22. Worst it ever got in traffic with 100 degree+ heat is 19 mpg. Mostly flat around here. Hilly areas knock it down a couple mpg on back 2 lane country roads.

#24 ·
Where would be the best for me to go to get one of those gauges, which will tell me my avg. MPGs?

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.