Rear end clunk when turning...like getting rear ended

Discuss your Mercury Mariner here.

Rear end clunk when turning...like getting rear ended

Postby smwmustang - December 9th, 2019, 2:13 pm

We have a 2010 Mercury Mariner Voga edition 2wd that my daughter drives. Just recently we both noticed, as you cannot miss it, when making a left or right turn and just as your are coming out of the turn there is a loud thud/clunk from the rear and it actually at times feels like you have been hit from behind at a slower speed.

I had the shop pull the rear cover and change the fluid and everything looked good. This did not help any at all.

Searching the internet I can't seem to find anything on the same issue as most refer to the front end or when moving in and out of reverse. U joints are good.

It does seems to maybe rev the engine just a tad before it happens but cannot be sure.

Thoughts on this or anyone have the same issue and had it resolved.

Thanks in advance and if I missed a thread - there are thousands out there - please send me to the correct one.

Shawn
smwmustang

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Rear end clunk when turning...like getting rear ended

Postby bangster - December 9th, 2019, 5:27 pm

I am confused as to what rear cover was pulled and fluid changed on a FWD vehicle. AWD has a driveshaft, some manner of coupling, and a rear diff with gears and CV joints and axles, but not FWD.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby bangster - December 9th, 2019, 7:23 pm

I am guessing it is AWD/4WD maybe the side gears or differential gears are messed up, as it is an open differential no locker.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby raysfan - December 10th, 2019, 12:23 am

Sounds like the shop you brought it too wasn't too interested in getting to the bottom of this. Not surprising as this kind of stuff is not a money maker for independent shops. It is impossible to diag a non common problem over the internet. Bring it to Ford. A tech will drive it around the lot while a second tech will ride in the back with the liftgate open and try to locate the area of the noise. He may also sit in the rear seats and open the rear doors. They should be able to determine if is the differential or the suspension and what side it is coming from. Then, they get the vehicle up on the lift and go from there. A diff rebuild is probably anywhere from $900 to $1800.
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2

Return to Mariner Manor