I'm Back! With a Newer Escape!

Talk about anything related to your 2013 - 2016 Escape and 2012 - Present Kuga here!

I'm Back! With a Newer Escape!

Postby MWolf85 - March 15th, 2019, 4:33 pm

So, I had some login issues and some email issues, and ended up making a new account with my functional email address. Yay!

Anyway, I had a 2010 Escape XLT, which I traded for a 2013 Escape Titanium. It has a couple issues that aren't major, but I'd like to address them (cheaply). First, it only came with one key that is set to "MyKey", and I hate it (the MyKey thing, not the vehicle itself). It has the push-button start. So, everywhere I've called has said that only a dealer can help, and that I need the admin key or to order one and have it programned. Is there a way to change this key back without an admin key? Without paying the dealer some obscene amount for something so simple?

Second issue is the TPMS light being on, despite proper tire inflation. How do I correct this?

So far, the Escape is great. But these little issues are turning into frustrations!
MWolf85

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: I'm Back! With a Newer Escape!

Postby FRENCHY - March 15th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Welcome back and congrats on the new one :thumb: :thumb:
17 YEARS OF DRIVING FORD ESCAPE
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.

Pics of my E https://escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 30#p366903
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Postby Charles - March 15th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Welcome back!!! :yes:
ImageMaps of US States And Canadian Provinces Camped In

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch; AirRide LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension System with LoadController Single Air Compressor System; 60 gallon RDS Aluminum Auxiliary Tank; K&W 500 Series Chest Toolbox
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels
2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row), Wireless Rear View Camera.
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 22
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby bangster - March 15th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Welcome!

For the MyKey thing, and to cheaply add a key, I think you can do that all with Forscan. It is DIY and maybe kinda scary, but all it takes is a laptop, a USB or Bluetooth OBD-II/Can Bus adapter and the free Forscan program.

You can disable MyKey using it, then turn it back on so that it can be setup again if you want.

You can also probably get a reasonably priced key online, get it cut, and program it in yourself with Forscan. Read up on it and see if you are up for doing it, could save you some serious money that be put to better things, and you can tinker with it and learn something new. I think it is possible to do that with your model year Escape, I have just researched my 2012 Fusion (and 2017 Escape to enable Global Up windows and Bambi mode).

Normally to program in another key you need to have 2 already programmed ones, and them not being clones of each other, which is one way locksmiths more easily add keys to cars.

People looked at me weird when I said that a single key would likely be a deal breaker, and I passed on some cars that came close to what I wanted, and I am not against doing the DIY thing, I can't believe the number of cars I drove that only had one key, and a couple it was the MyKey and one was setup with a 75 mph speed limit and max volume on the radio to 35%.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby bangster - March 15th, 2019, 10:45 pm

For the TPMS light, is it solid or blinking? Again, you can check for codes for most of those failures with the same ODB-II reader and Forscan or other programs.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby MWolf85 - March 16th, 2019, 1:17 pm

The TPMS will blink for a bit before going solid.

As for the key, one is coming. The dealer "looked" for the other key, then after what I'm sure they called harassment (I'd called 2 days in a row and then showed up. I'm so mean, I know), they said there wasn't a second key. Don't get me wrong, great dealer, they were kind and helpful. They just aren't a Ford dealer, they're Acura, so the whole key thing and TPMS issue was spooky. Which I get. But they'd have to go through the closest Ford dealer. I don't like that dealer, I prefer another Ford dealer (because they tried screwing me over twice).

Oh, the cruise control and remote start seem to work as they please. I sorta want to say it has something to do with the key? Since it actually grays out remote start option...sometimes. I may just wait and see if a normal key resolves it. This one might have an issue or need reprogrammed.
MWolf85

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to 2013 - 2016 Escape / 2012 - Present Kuga General Discussion