Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2017 Escape Air Bag Light Code: B0001-1A

9K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Bd47 
#1 ·
Help! Bought a 2017 escape from a dealership a little over a year ago. Lately my air bag light comes on in the morning and when starting it after the car has run for a while, it doesn't come on. Don't know if it is related, but now sometimes the horn works and sometimes it doesn't. Did some research, and found the vehicle had been in a major front end collision. The code it throws up is B0001-1A or Driver frontal stage 1 deployment control: circuit resistance below threshold. I' am assuming this could be a bad or corroded wire? Have no idea where this harness runs too, or where to start. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I would suspect the clock spring as both horn and air bag use it, but I am not sure if that code for the airbag could come from the steering column or not.

I also guess that both horn and air bag sensor mentioned are at the front of the vehicle, so I am not sure how I would proceed.

I have looked into swapping the wheel on my 2017 (I want leather) but I should have done it already, when I first got the car the wheel was $160, now it is $350, so I gave up on it, but know that messing around with the horn and airbag are dicey, the manual says to have the key in the engine off position for at least a minute before you go and start digging in.

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. I had a local garage take a look and said without dismantling half the front end they could not find the front sensor. They recommended contacting a Ford dealership. As much as I fear what they will charge, it may be my only option. I was hoping for some suggestions before I go this route.

#4 ·
For that code the manual says to first check all connectors and wiring harnesses for damage at the following items:
• Wiring, terminals or connectors
• Clockspring
• Driver air bag module
• RCM

The sensors are #8 in the below image:
2013 Escape SRS locations by dabangsta, on Flickr

It then has you use the scan tool to look at a PID to get the ohm value, but again it says that most likely fault is in wiring or connectors. I am not sure much of the manual helps if you can't check on a specific PID with a scan tool. I don't know if a simple scan tool and Torque or Forscan can do it.

#6 ·
Update. Since the post by bangster, by the way thanks again, I was able to locate both front sensors. Had been looking everywhere only to discover them in plain sight on top of radiator support. Removed the faulty sensor, driver side, and swapped for the passenger side. Cleared faults and so far not air bag light or fault codes. Hopefully just a bad connection. If it reappears on the passenger side, I would guess its the senor itself. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.