Switch to full site
Talk about anything related to your 2017 - Present Ford Escape/ New Ford Kuga here!
Topic locked

Signature pictures

October 11th, 2011, 3:47 pm

We've had a few rough days around here lately, so we (the mods) are putting up a set of E-C Posting Rules soon.

Until then, we've noticed that the size of some signature pictures is really getting out of control, some to the point of making entire threads unreadable. While I can't limit the picture size directly, we are going to ask everyone to limit signature picture sizes to around 300 pixels tall by 640 pixels wide, maximum.

Yes, there are users who use the site on smaller screens than HD or higher, and on phones and mobile devices (especially), these Jumbotron-sized signatures gobble up data plans like crazy, they make pages take minutes to finish, and they make the text on the site impossible to find.

If we see large signature pictures, we're going to start PMing users to make them smaller. If you can't do this yourself, PM me, and I'll do it for you.

Sorry, but the out-of-control stuff around here lately needs some control.

Thanks.

Re: Signature pictures

October 11th, 2011, 8:11 pm

:thumb:

October 11th, 2011, 9:03 pm

jpark wrote:We've had a few rough days around here lately, so we (the mods) are putting up a set of E-C Posting Rules soon.

Until then, we've noticed that the size of some signature pictures is really getting out of control, some to the point of making entire threads unreadable. While I can't limit the picture size directly, we are going to ask everyone to limit signature picture sizes to around 300 pixels tall by 640 pixels wide, maximum.

Yes, there are users who use the site on smaller screens than HD or higher, and on phones and mobile devices (especially), these Jumbotron-sized signatures gobble up data plans like crazy, they make pages take minutes to finish, and they make the text on the site impossible to find.

If we see large signature pictures, we're going to start PMing users to make them smaller. If you can't do this yourself, PM me, and I'll do it for you.

Sorry, but the out-of-control stuff around here lately needs some control.

Thanks.

I understand where you are coming from but see my picture below and the signature's I made were over you size limit with a height of 278px by a length of 959.

But here is the thing all the pictures are "221KB, 256KB and mine at 303KB which is nothing on download size and really has no impact on data plans.

Are the signatures I made a problem even though the are below 303KB's?

*EDIT: Grammar.

October 11th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Everyone in the City needs to be in compliance with JP's request. No exceptions. He's the boss, applesauce. :yes:

October 11th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Dasha wrote:Everyone in the City needs to be in compliance with JP's request. No exceptions. He's the boss, applesauce. :yes:

Thanks for answering the question.. -__-

October 11th, 2011, 9:17 pm

You're very welcome.

October 11th, 2011, 10:06 pm

They take up more than half my screen at 1280x1024, disrupting the flow of threads. You have to take into account the height of your text as well as the picture in your signature.

The file size may be small, but for mobile devices it takes up considerable processing power to resize that picture, render it, reformat the web page to fit it in, then repeat. I'm using a hybrid OS7 browser on my BlackBerry (supposed to be the fastest they've made, almost equal to iOS Safari) and some threads in which multiple large-signature posters participate take more than 30 seconds to load. In comparison, the E-C home page loads in about four seconds.

October 11th, 2011, 10:17 pm

I knew this day would come, but I'm glad. It's getting out of control, even mine grew a little bigger than it needs to be. I'll probably try to tidy it up further. I have a 17" HD laptop screen, and a lot of them are still annoyingly huge.

October 11th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Thanks, Airmapper. :)

October 11th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Lovely. Back to the old style signature..
Topic locked