Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Permanently disable auto stop/start?

41K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  thesavo 
#1 ·
I tend to turn the auto start/stop off most of the time, manually poking the button. Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently/semi-permanently disable it? I don't pay for the gas for work or personal use and it's just not worth the annoyance to have it on.

#5 ·
I'm all for clean air but wonder how effective the A/C is when the auto start/stop has been on for 45 seconds or longer (like when sitting at a red light in traffic when its 95 degrees outside)
((I have a feeling I'll be using the disable button a LOT))

#6 ·
I don't have my 2017 yet (hopefully picking it up tomorrow morning) but I read on another forum that when the transmission is in sport mode it doesn't allow auto stop/start to occur, so that is a sort of permanent deactivation if you drive in that mode all the time (which, i plan on doing anyway unless break in period doesn't allow it).

Maybe others could test that out and report back. If not, I most likely will :)

#7 ·
hangover2fanz said:
I don't have my 2017 yet (hopefully picking it up tomorrow morning) but I read on another forum that when the transmission is in sport mode it doesn't allow auto stop/start to occur, so that is a sort of permanent deactivation if you drive in that mode all the time (which, i plan on doing anyway unless break in period doesn't allow it).

This is good to know :yes:

#8 ·
hangover2fanz said:

Welcome to the City!!!! Glad you joined us!!! :yes:

:topic:

#9 ·
MadMax said:
hangover2fanz said:

This is good to know :yes:
I did pick up my Escape Saturday morning and i can confirm leaving it in sport automatically disables Auto Start/Stop and leaves it off while in that mode.

#10 ·
I found that if I turn on climate control the engine will take longer to go into auto off or not go off at all. Also pressing climate control often forces the car to start. LOL

That said, I'm pretty impressed with it. I do wish you could tweak the time it takes to shut off. Sometimes it's 1 second after a stop, but start up is seemless 99% of the time.

#12 ·
I found a line in the display between tac and speedo that has a box to check or uncheck auto start/stop on my 2017 2.0 titanium escape, but I haven't driven it since I checked the box to see if it deactivated. I live in the country with no stoplight's. will test it out next time I drive it and repost.

#13 ·
I thought this might do it but was corrrected on another forum. :)

google auto engine off ... it seems this turns off the engine after a preset period if left unattended

I've also seen that it can't be turned off due to it's EPA fuel numbers were calculated with it.

#14 ·
There is a (several) youtube videos showing how to permanently disable this 'feature' ((basically you add a jumper wire to the disable switch so the truck 'thinks' the switch has been pressed)) but don't let the dealer know you've done this :bust:

#17 ·
Saw this YouTube come across my subscription email. The video is based on a new F150 with auto stop/start. If your Escape has factory tow package, this trick should work as well.

#18 ·
There is a way to disable the auto stop start. I watched a video where a guy disabled it a F-150.
Basically, you pop out the switch and on the back jumper two wires. One is white and the one to the left.
This simply tells the computer that the switch is in the off position.

Clayton

#19 ·
rfruth said:
I'm all for clean air but wonder how effective the A/C is when the auto start/stop has been on for 45 seconds or longer (like when sitting at a red light in traffic when its 95 degrees outside)
((I have a feeling I'll be using the disable button a LOT))
The manual mentions that there are several 'restart' triggers and the climate control is one. If the cabin gets too hot, it will restart on it's own.
But I'm kinda used to not bothering with it. It restarts and is ready to go before I can move my foot to the gas pedal.

For me the downside is that the power steering can kick if the wheel is turned when the engine stops. Also, It only stops in "D" shifter setting. So, when I pull up to the bank drive thru, the engine stops in D right before I automatically put the gear into Park and then the engine re-starts.

#20 ·
Not to be too argumentative but the climate restart trigger is a bit slow IMO so I can just use sport mode or set the temp a little colder than I want (funny this fuel / environment saving tech is doing more harm than good) also there is no EPAS (electronic power assisted steering) during auto start stop somewhat of a safety issue but not a show stopper - that said I like auto start/stop system in my 2017 it's like playing a game with the SUV sometimes the disable button comes in handy though.

#21 ·
I sometimes find the start/stop annoying but I try to view it as just different.
One of the annoying things is that the climate system does shut down but the car becomes very quiet if your tunes aren't playing.
Another is the power steering 'kicks' as it cycles when the wheel is slightly turned.
For me it rarely works as it should because it has to restart very soon after stopping.
Drive-through lines are a good example -.-.-.-.....
So, you can restart it easily enough by just lifting your foot from the brake pedal for an instant

#22 ·
#23 ·
I saw the age of the thread and almost didn't reply but yes, Auto Start/Stop features can usually be programmed in the vehicle's firmware. But, as Charles mentioned recently, you need a tool that can read/write Fords proprietary commands like Forscan.

VW/Audi have a similar requirement through VCSD, it was formerly called Vag-Com.... :D

#24 ·
I believe someone will come up with a way to disable it. I have researched it and isn't required by the government. There is a device that can be bought for the F-150 that permanently disables it. Much easier to get to switch on F-150 than the Escape. (You Tube video). The Escape S does not have Auto Start/Stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.