what are these intakes for and best way to clean them?

Talk about anything related to your 2017 - Present Ford Escape/ New Ford Kuga here!

what are these intakes for and best way to clean them?

Postby bangster - May 24th, 2018, 3:53 pm

I have 3 mesquite trees with these little 2mm wide by 1cm long leaves, also stems with 13 trillion little yellow flowers. While washing it I lifted the wipers (not used to being able to do that) and noticed these two air inputs completely clogged with over an inch deep of leaves and flowers. I cleared then by hand, leaving some stuck between the plastic and the mesh.

Used a little direct spraying to get some out, as I see pathways to allow water to drain, but didn't want to do so much that water gets to whatever they are for.

The larger raised ones towards the middle had very little debris covering them, and easy to clean.

AC works fine, but it is only 95-98 degrees so far so want to be sure I get the best cooling when it turns hot. Also maybe it blows a little low when in auto stop mode (I don't remember if it blew hard warm air or lowers amount it blows when stopped...).
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: what are these intakes for and best way to clean them?

Postby 14theRoad - August 16th, 2018, 2:38 pm

bangster wrote:I have 3 mesquite trees with these little 2mm wide by 1cm long leaves, also stems with 13 trillion little yellow flowers. While washing it I lifted the wipers (not used to being able to do that) and noticed these two air inputs completely clogged with over an inch deep of leaves and flowers. I cleared then by hand, leaving some stuck between the plastic and the mesh.

Used a little direct spraying to get some out, as I see pathways to allow water to drain, but didn't want to do so much that water gets to whatever they are for.

The larger raised ones towards the middle had very little debris covering them, and easy to clean.

AC works fine, but it is only 95-98 degrees so far so want to be sure I get the best cooling when it turns hot. Also maybe it blows a little low when in auto stop mode (I don't remember if it blew hard warm air or lowers amount it blows when stopped...).

Those vents are what allow fresh air in through the cars ventillation system when you are not in Recirculation mode. Spraying water into them won't hurt them. As they clog up, you will find that if the HVAC system is left to bring in air from the outside, the volume of air may be decreased or a musty smell starts to permeate.

If leaves and dirt make it past the screens they will clog the drains and you could get flooding in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. Mustangs are notorious for this so, the requisite maintenance is to remove the cowl once a year and clean all the vents and the drains.
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby Escapeism - September 14th, 2018, 8:59 am

I have had great success with just a vacuum and some sort of pick. Like a toothpick. Just a couple minutes and its all clean. Been doing it for 6 years.
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0 4WD - Lightning Blue - Panoramic Roof - Tow Package - Sport Appearance Package
Escapeism

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2017 Escape Titanium 4WD

Postby bangster - September 14th, 2018, 9:22 am

My shop vac didn't do a great job on them when wet, so once they dried it did better, so that is what I ended up doing a few times and a lot better.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Return to 2017 - Present Escape / New Kuga General Discussion