Daytime Running lights..

Talk about anything related to your 2017 - Present Ford Escape/ New Ford Kuga here!

Daytime Running lights..

Postby gizzmo67 - September 18th, 2018, 9:18 pm

I've got the 2017 Escape SE 2L and love the vehicle. My question is how do you turn Off the Daytime Running Lights when the engine is running and you're in park.

Why? 2 reasons, 1. I'm a migratory bird hunter, and sitting in the vehicle in the field waiting for sunrise on a cool morning with the engine running, you don't want these running lights shinning away, 2. At the Drive-In. 1 left in our Province but again you don't want these lights shinning away when you're trying to warm up on a cool evening,

(Not sure if it matters but I'm in Canada & I think our Regs regarding exterior lighting are different then in the USA.)

Thanks in advance.
gizzmo67

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Daytime Running lights..

Postby bangster - September 19th, 2018, 8:37 am

What headlights do you have? Halogen reflector, halogen projector, or HID, and does it use the LED "signature lighting" bar for the DRL?

In the US, on mine, I can go into the info display, Settings->Vehicle->Lighting and disable DRL, but you are correct, it might not be available in a Canadian market vehicle. Might have to see if anyone has the details on using FORSCAN to do it. I don't know if the 2017 has been documented or not.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby Touringmike - September 19th, 2018, 7:44 pm

I remember on my '97 Blazer (which had DRLs in the US too), if you applied the parking brake, the DRLs went off while key switch was
in the On/Run position.

Don't know if that's still the set-up, but just a thought.
ImageImage
Touringmike

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: '11 Limited (gone) '19 EdgeST

Postby Jay2TheRescue - September 19th, 2018, 9:13 pm

On my 08 the DRL's go off when I shift into Park, but on older cars setting the parking brake disabled it. I'd give it a shot.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby gizzmo67 - September 20th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advise all, but can't be done. Checked with Dealer and had the whole place trying to figure it out. Dealer checked with Ford Canada and they advised Nope, no way to turn lights off when Engine Running.

Thanks again,
gizzmo67

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby gizzmo67 - September 20th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advise all, but can't be done. Checked with Dealer and had the whole place trying to figure it out. Dealer checked with Ford Canada and they advised Nope, no way to turn lights off when Engine Running.

Thanks again,
gizzmo67

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bangster - September 21st, 2018, 8:29 am

It might take some investigation, help from the FORSCAN users, and some cheap hardware if you have a way to get a computer (laptop) to your vehicle, because lots of people want to change what light is used for the DRL or turn it off. It likely can be done, and it isn't something the dealer is going to do or say is possible. If I felt strongly that I wanted to turn off DRLs, then I would take my already modified OBD-II connector, my Surface Pro laptop, FORSCAN, and see if it a recent update to it could read the As Built values, and compare to others As Built data, and change it.

There are many variations of headlights and what is used as DRL, and if it is even DRL and/or signature lighting, but no idea what you have going on.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby gizzmo67 - September 21st, 2018, 6:29 pm

Thanks bangster, but I'm afraid you lost me after "It might take some investigation". My computer skills are quite limited, hell I get excited when I'm able to sign on to "Escape City" without screwing up.

Thanks again but I think I'll just leave things as they are.

Regards,
gizzmo67

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to 2017 - Present Escape / New Kuga General Discussion