Smart Link Module

Talk about anything related to your 2017 - Present Ford Escape/ New Ford Kuga here!

Smart Link Module

Postby Aggie - October 31st, 2018, 8:40 am

Has anyone bought and uses the Ford Smart Link module? About the only thing I can see that it does is adds the ability to have WiFi that was omitted in the 2017 Escape. All other fob functions I already have: remote start, lock/unlock, etc.
Aggie

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Smart Link Module

Postby bangster - October 31st, 2018, 9:09 am

This isn't about the key fob, it is about using the FordPass mobile app to do those things on your cell phone. Like I can remote start my car from 1000 miles away or lock the doors (and have done so).

What model 2017 do you have, and if an SE does it have the Technology Package (201a) with Sync 3 (the larger 8 inch screen)?

If you have that already, you cannot add Ford Smartlink, it cannot be added to a vehicle that already has a modem, and yes, that means you wouldn't be able to adding WiFi (which is no loss for me, as I can use my phone as a hotspot, and have done so, in the car, for people not in my family since we all have the same phone coverage).
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby bangster - October 31st, 2018, 9:36 am

at least $350 for hardware, and $17 a month for service, not including the data, so...pass, and if that is what it costs to keep Sync Connect working after however long I get it for free, then pass as well. It is nice to find the vehicle, and to lock and unlock the doors. All commands take so long to do that unless you play 2 minutes ahead, it isn't great (you can't decide to start it while walking out the door, for example, unless you are a 1/2 mile away).
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby Aggie - November 1st, 2018, 9:10 am

I have 2017 Titanium model. It has a modem that allows me to do all the stuff with my key fob. The only thing it doesn't have, that the 2018+ modems, have is WiFi. I agree, the expense of the plug in module and subscribing to service isn't worth it. I was just wondering if I was missing something else Smart Link offered.

Has anyone figured out how to get their car to connect to your phone's hot spot? That is another thing my car doesn't seem capable of. It recognizes the phone, but won't connect.
Aggie

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to 2017 - Present Escape / New Kuga General Discussion