Electric impact wrench

Talk about anything related to your 2017 - Present Ford Escape/ New Ford Kuga here!

Electric impact wrench

Postby backroad101 - February 19th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this so will try here.

What are people using for electric impact wrenches? What did you look for when buying and what do you like about the one you got? I was considering maybe trying something from Harbor Freight but thought if I am spending the money I should maybe get something better. Thoughts?

2011 Escape XLT

Silver. 2.5L Sun and Sync package. 18" Mazdaspeed3 wheels/Falken tires/Ford center caps. Body color grille, billet upper and lower inserts, chrome door handle and mirror covers, custom engine cover, Class III hitch.
https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23610
backroad101

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Electric impact wrench

Postby Jossef12 - February 19th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Harbor Freight is not where you want to go. Try getting a DeWalt or Ryobi. Those will last you much longer and work better.
Jossef12

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bangster - February 20th, 2019, 9:54 am

Jossef12 wrote:Harbor Freight is not where you want to go. Try getting a DeWalt or Ryobi. Those will last you much longer and work better.

The Horrible Fright Earthquake Xtreme has some pretty favorable reviews and comparisons with others. There are some things that make it worse (size, being brushed and not brushless, single speed, no torque settings), it costs a little less than some, a lot less than others.

If it gets used 20-40 times a day everyday (two vehicles lugs), I would say perhaps look at something else. If you have the need for a "system" of tools that use the same battery and charger, looks elsewhere (unless that other tool is a 3/8 drive impact...), but for a 1/2 inch drive that is usually 100 cheaper than Milwaukee, a little less that DeWalt (however make sure you compare it to the high torque model), 450 less than Snap-On, might be worth it.

My neighbor owns a few wreckers and has a smaller vehicle he sends out on things like flats, and he actually uses the much smaller Earthquake Xtreme 3/8 drive for removing lugs, and finds it does great. Not living in the rust belt helps, and lugs should be under 175 ft pounds, so that doesn't make it miraculous that it works for that.

Not sure I would ever have the need for 1200 foot pound or 1400 foot pounds of break away torque, would use it enough to wear out brushes.

I get along just fine with my Craftsman 1/4 drive impact driver, but now that I have a fourth vehicle that needs things like tire rotated, I might invest in something bigger. It would see limited use but when it was used I would want it to perform.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby backroad101 - March 31st, 2019, 6:08 pm

So I am kinda looking at these two. Would they be good for automotive use?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M ... /305529329

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-V ... /306703577

Thoughts?

2011 Escape XLT

Silver. 2.5L Sun and Sync package. 18" Mazdaspeed3 wheels/Falken tires/Ford center caps. Body color grille, billet upper and lower inserts, chrome door handle and mirror covers, custom engine cover, Class III hitch.
https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23610
backroad101

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Postby bangster - March 31st, 2019, 10:17 pm

I really like my 1/4 drive impact. Be realistic about 133 lb ft or 180 lb ft of torque for those examples, they probably won't be breaking free any hard lug nuts or seriously rusted larger fasteners, but for taking out 20 long bolts from an intake? Yes, they rule for that! I took mine to the junkyard and pulled 4 intakes, it was faster to pull them and check them out than wander around and gauge which one I thought I wanted then starting removing them. I frequently will need to break free the bolts with a breaker bar, generally anything over a 10mm head won't easily come loose with it, but anything under no problem, and 100mm seems to be the some are fine, some are not.

They check off all the boxes, brushless, probably in your range of cost, etc, as long as they fit your use.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby thesavo - April 22nd, 2019, 2:57 pm

18v 1/2 inch drive from ryobi. I have two of them. Great for suspension bolts, and any anywhere there is clearance. Used it on my wiper arms just yesterday.

I couldn't work on my vehicle today without it. I often wonder how I did before it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thesavo

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2008 Mariner Base

Return to 2017 - Present Escape / New Kuga General Discussion