Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Upgrade to OEM Nav screen stereo in 2012

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  vincom 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2012 Escape. It is equipped with the standard stereo and sound system. It is equipped with sync however.
I have been Interested in upgrading my standard stereo for an OEM touch screen nav out of a different escape. I am curious as to which stereos would be a simple plug and play. I see a lot of 2008-09 nav screens on the internet but i'm not sure how compatible those are. Just curious as to which year models will work without modification and whether there are any differences in wiring harnesses, or antennas or any other problems i would run into...

Thanks!

Sid219

#2 ·
I have a 2010 with Sync and the standard radio, and looked into this (some). The 2008s do not have Sync, so they would not work at all, a 2009 might have Sync.
The Nav radios have a separate amp, so you would need:
1. The Nav Radio out of an Escape/Mariner 2009-2012 (and get the 4 speed nuts, it will make life easier!)
2. The Amp and its mounting bracket.
3. The wiring harnesses (car to radio and radio to amp--might be a single harness.)
4. An OEM radio/climate bezel (The aftermarket double-din has a smaller opening, and could not be used with the OEM radio.)
5. The splitter for the SAT antenna (I assume you have the SAT antenna, it does double duty as the GPS antenna.)
The companies that advertise the refurb OEM Nav radios online (~$900) need your VIN so the radio can be programmed, so I assume you would need a way to reprogram a Ford radio, or talk a dealer into doing it.

The Following Ford products have Nav radios that appear to be the same as the Escape and the radio, amp, and the wiring harness may be the same:
Econoline Van 2009-2014
Edge 2009-2010
Expedition 2009-2014
Explorer 2009-2010
F350/F450 2009-2010
Taurus/Sable 2010
Lincoln MKX 2009-2010
Lincoln Navigator 2009-2014
Mercury Mountaineer 2009-2010

I actually did this type of swap with my 2005 Hybrid (found a 2007 Hybrid in the junkyard and harvested all the parts) and that swap was fairly easy (no bezel, no Sync, and no reprogramming to deal with) but I gave up and got a Kenwood for my 2010 (on sale at Crutchfield, with all parts needed). I don't know how easy it is to see the screen on the Ford radio, but the Kenwood is pretty useless during the day.
Of note--in the 2005 there is a connector in the dash that let me unplug the standard radio harness and then plug in the Nav harness, the 2010/2011 wiring diagram appears to show the same connector in the dash. If you are the Pick-N-Pull type, I would concentrate on the Expedition/Navigators in the yard. Good Luck!

#3 ·
I really have to get this writeup out (long overdue) but I put an android tablet on my dash, which, for under $150 all-in, gives me:

- Larger screen in a better location
- much more robust music and streaming capability
- google/waze nav via voice command. absolutely brilliant in LA traffic
- OBD2 monitoring (nice on the hybrid)
- trail maps
- other random google assistant niceties (reminders, how late is 'X' open...etc)
- Alexa
- Steering wheel control (via bluetooth to the stock non-nav system)
- color-matched launcher looks like factory entertainment system (actually a lot better than Ford's IMO)

I hard-mounted mine with 2 minimal holes and it looks integrated enough I don't worry about leaving it there while parked...the voice-activated nav with realtime traffic is worth it by itself. My only complaint is that it relies on the SYNC system to connect to, which has been the only problematic part of the whole mess (not a SYNC fan - google works SO MUCH BETTER).

I WILL get a post on this up soon, but let me know if you want any more info in the meantime.

#4 ·
@sid219 have you seen this in Swap'n Shop?
MuadDeeb101 said:
Hello friends,

I have some Ford Sync with Navi for sale. My car came from US to Europe and I do not have any opportunity to use this one unit. I have converted it to iDatalink with some Kenwood radio.

So if you are willing to spent some money, I will accept them.

Part No: 9L8T 18K931 AG
Model No: (1P) NA6W-4201BF

Please make me an offer, this offer will be with shipping costs. Please be realistic about that. I think you now how the prices from retailers or used are, so be realistic. I do not want to earn money, I just want to see someone happy.

If you need some photos, do not hesitate to contact me.
PayPal is good for me.

#5 ·
EscapeFromLA said:
I really have to get this writeup out (long overdue) but I put an android tablet on my dash, which, for under $150 all-in, gives me:

- trail maps
- other random google assistant niceties (reminders, how late is 'X' open...etc)
- Alexa
- color-matched launcher looks like factory entertainment system (actually a lot better than Ford's IMO)

I hard-mounted mine with 2 minimal holes and it looks integrated enough I don't worry about leaving it there while parked...the voice-activated nav with realtime traffic is worth it by itself. My only complaint is that it relies on the SYNC system to connect to, which has been the only problematic part of the whole mess (not a SYNC fan - google works SO MUCH BETTER).

I WILL get a post on this up soon, but let me know if you want any more info in the meantime.
Absolutely I am interested! Did you write this up yet?

#6 ·
EscapeFromLA said:

- trail maps
- Alexa

did u ever do a write up, would be nice as i want to upgrade my basic radio on a 09 escape

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.