Gas Mileage

Talk about anything related to your 2017 - Present Ford Escape/ New Ford Kuga here!

Gas Mileage

Postby Jossef12 - February 12th, 2019, 10:35 am

I have a 2018 Escape SE 11000 miles. Bought it new and ever since I bought it I am just not seeing the gas mileage other people are saying they are getting. I do mostly surface street driving and some freeway. The other day driving around town it showed I was getting 19.2 mpg. I reset the gauge and it did better but only about 21.
My question is, is this the mileage I should expect or should I take it in to get checked out? Last November I went on a trip from Ft Worth to Galveston and got no better than 25 mpg and that was all highway driving.
Thanks
Jossef12

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Gas Mileage

Postby Charles - February 12th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Do you have the 1.5 L or 2.0 L engine?? Might make a difference. :shrug:
ImageMaps of US States And Canadian Provinces Camped In

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch; AirRide LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension System with LoadController Single Air Compressor System; 60 gallon RDS Aluminum Auxiliary Tank; K&W 500 Series Chest Toolbox
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels
2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row), Wireless Rear View Camera.
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 22
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby bangster - February 12th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Jossef12 wrote:I have a 2018 Escape SE 11000 miles. Bought it new and ever since I bought it I am just not seeing the gas mileage other people are saying they are getting. I do mostly surface street driving and some freeway. The other day driving around town it showed I was getting 19.2 mpg. I reset the gauge and it did better but only about 21.
My question is, is this the mileage I should expect or should I take it in to get checked out? Last November I went on a trip from Ft Worth to Galveston and got no better than 25 mpg and that was all highway driving.
Thanks

Since the only engine available for the SE for 2018 is the 1.5, I have a similar vehicle.

EPA rating is 23 city, 30 highway, and 26 combined.

I have a 2017 SE with the 1.5 as well.

If I am trying I can get 22/24 around town. My wife easily averages better than that. We do have about 20% of driving that is 40-50 mph with minimal cross traffic, but otherwise it is stop and go 30-35 mph surface streets.

The secret is to keep it under 2500 rpm with minimal throttle input. It is really tough for me to do, but I also play around with the ecomode display and the flowers with petals, helped me if I really care about mileage. Around town try to improve the anticipation, on the highway try to improve the speed.

I can easily get it down to 15 mpg just but regressing back to my normal driving habits, "being in the boost" at high throttle inputs (running it well past 3000 rpm) from take off, turning off auto start/stop, using sport mode, etc.

I usually average around 28 mpg on the highway, I can get 34 mpg one way, then 28 mpg the other due to elevation changes (120 miles distance, starting at 2500 feet and going to 1000 feet). I usually am going 5-7mph over the speed limit, I also don't let myself get stuck in bad situation, so I will pass people to not get stuck going 50 mph behind semis side by side, for example.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Postby bangster - February 12th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Also one thing I see is...if I have 300 miles on the average calculation and it is around 25 mpg, I can go WOT for 30 seconds and kill average mileage by .5 mpg, down to 24.5 mpg, and never get it back. It doesn't take much. I can ruin my average mileage if I reset it before getting on the interstate and do it aggressively, which is frequently the best/only way to get on.
'17 SE, FWD 1.5T Magnetic Metallic
201A (halogen projectors, Sync 3, BLIS, SyncConnect, Reverse Sensing)
Nav (boo), Power Liftgate
bangster

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5T 201A
My vehicle's name: magnetic

Return to 2017 - Present Escape / New Kuga General Discussion