Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Bigger Tires on 17" Rims

15K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  epikdele 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am sure this has been posted somewhere before, but I can only find concrete answers for the 16" rims. I want to buy some larger All-Terrain tires, I am wondering what size tires I can put on a 2010 Ford Escape Limited with the 17" chrome rims without rubbing issues. If someone has pictures that would be awesome.
Also, if there is a popular size of tire that is larger than stock but is not technically the BIGGEST that will fit, I'm interested in that too. It doesn't have to be the absolute biggest, just bigger than stock. Thanks!

#2 ·
Take the width and diameter for the total tire and rim size for the 16 inch rims. Apply it to your size.

As far as I know, the stock 16 and stock 17 inch rims have the same width and offset.

Regardless of rim size, the wheel wells, suspension parts, and brakes are all the same between the 2009-2012 Escapes. Therefore, the total diameter of tire and rim should work out to the same size, regardless of 16 inch or 17 inch rims.

#3 ·
Okay so if I am doing the math correctly (please ignore my stupidity), then these are some of the numbers (Adding rim size to tire size for total diameter).

Total width of the stock 17" rims and tires = 22.76"
Total width of the 245/75R16's that people say are the max on the 16" rims = 23.23"
Total width of 235/65R17 = 23.01"
Total width of 245/75R17 = 24.233"

Based on these calculations, the popular sized 245/75/R17 may not fit. Does this make sense? Although it's hard to believe that the 245/75R16's only add .5" over what comes stock on 16" rim escapes, so maybe I did something wrong?

#4 ·
I'm not sure I follow, I believe the rims are both 7 inches wide, and 245 tire width is based on the tire, not the rim exactly. However, even between brands and tires, you'll find some variation in width between 245mm wide tires.

I was referencing diameter, because that will determine how much of the wheel well will fill up. Anything too big and you'll get rubbing on bumps, turns, or even just driving.

Now going too wide, may cause issues with fender rubbing. However I haven't seen any issue with going 20mm wider than stock sizes, especially since 235 width tires are stock on the 16 inch, so effectively going to 245 should make minimal difference on issues related to width.

Use www.tiresize.com/calculator .

It'll help provide you with what you can do. In your case, a 16 inch tire, sized 245/75/16, is 30.5 inches in diameter. This would be 6.6% bigger than the stock 225/65/17 size. Make note that by increasing the diameter, you're speedometer is going to be off.

So we've established that based on your research in other threads, 245/75/16 fits on the escape without issues. That tells us that a tire and rim combination of 30.5 inches can fit on the Escape, providing it's on the stock rim.

Once you go aftermarket, you're changing rim widths, offsets, and backspacing, and thats other things you have to account for.

So using the link provided, let's take a 245 width, and see what brings up closest to 30.5" diameter on a 17 inch rim. Since you're rim is bigger, you need a smaller sidewall to maintain the same diameter. What I come up with is 245/70/17.

Definitely use the calculator posted above, as I find it really helps to visualize changes to rims and tires.

#7 ·
Glad someone else posted about this. I just recently got myself a set of 245/65/R17 to fit the set of SAP wheels I managed to find. I an concerned about fitment.

So far I believe width of the tire is the same as the stock 16's I have. Just concerned about diameter. I've gotten a set of 5mm Hub Centric spacers for the front but think I may need to find a leveling kit for the front. Not sure as I have not put the wheels on yet. Maybe if anyone else has any advice or info about this size of tire.

#8 ·
NF-XLT said:
Glad someone else posted about this. I just recently got myself a set of 245/65/R17 to fit the set of SAP wheels I managed to find. I an concerned about fitment.

So far I believe width of the tire is the same as the stock 16's I have. Just concerned about diameter. I've gotten a set of 5mm Hub Centric spacers for the front but think I may need to find a leveling kit for the front. Not sure as I have not put the wheels on yet. Maybe if anyone else has any advice or info about this size of tire.
Use the calculator I posted above. You're 0.5" larger in diameter than stock size. You shouldn't have any issue with the SAP rims.

#9 ·
If the diameter is .5 inches bigger, then they will be .25 inches closer to the wheel wheel or whatever you are worried about. Should be able to easily measure that.

I don't know what the suspension looks like on your Escape, on my Fusion (a completely different vehicle and not at all germane to your question or worry) I can't run the stock Mustang size (235/50/18) on wider wheels with more backspace easily, they are 1.3 inches diameter larger that 225/45/18, so .65 inches closer to the upper control arm and the front and rear wheel wheel when at full lock. A spacer would actually make them hit the fender (not the wheel well) but clear the spindle better (I am going with 3mm spacers and stock tire size on the wider wheel, I already have an older tire mounted to my new wheels to test fit).

#10 ·
Ok so after having the new tires (245/70/R17) mounted on the SAP wheels I measured them out and they are just under 30.5 inches in diameter and the width of them is around 9.5 inches which was the same as the 16 inch wheels I currently have on. So as far as rubbing issues I don't think I'll have any because they are still on a stock wheel so the offset should still be +40.0mm. I don't think I'll need the spacers for them but I have them anyway just incase the test fit reveals some issues.

I'm going to be putting them on over the weekend as well as some other things so I'll get photos up from the before and after.

#11 ·
Touringmike said:
What I got for a replacement on my departed 2011: 235/65R17s

Got them from Tire rack, which has selections for up-sizing to fit-replace OEM tires/wheels.
You can even view your vehicle model and color with available wheel selections.
Glad I saw this - Was your wheel on the 2011 the stock 17" wheels?

I have the stock chrome 7" wheels (225/65/17 OE size currently on) and was wondering if those wheels can take 235/65/17 without any issues...
Seems like they can for sure.
Thank you!

#12 ·
Illyria69 said:
Touringmike said:
What I got for a replacement on my departed 2011: 235/65R17s

Got them from Tire rack, which has selections for up-sizing to fit-replace OEM tires/wheels.
You can even view your vehicle model and color with available wheel selections.
Glad I saw this - Was your wheel on the 2011 the stock 17" wheels?

I have the stock chrome 7" wheels (225/65/17 OE size currently on) and was wondering if those wheels can take 235/65/17 without any issues...
Seems like they can for sure.
Thank you!
No, I had 16 x 7 wheels originally.

I believe the Enkei rims I bought were 17 x 8.
For the heck of it, you could go to Tire Rack's web site and check their Tire-wheel packages
to see what they recommend for 235 width tires.

#13 ·
All of them recommended packages with wheels that were 7.5" wide. BUT I have seen a post here where someone had 235/65/17 on stock 7" wheels and they didn't report any issues.

I am just worried that if I order 235/65/17 from TR, if the TR recommended installer would refuse to install them or something....

#14 ·
NF-XLT said:
Ok so after having the new tires (245/70/R17) mounted on the SAP wheels I measured them out and they are just under 30.5 inches in diameter and the width of them is around 9.5 inches which was the same as the 16 inch wheels I currently have on. So as far as rubbing issues I don't think I'll have any because they are still on a stock wheel so the offset should still be +40.0mm. I don't think I'll need the spacers for them but I have them anyway just incase the test fit reveals some issues.

I'm going to be putting them on over the weekend as well as some other things so I'll get photos up from the before and after.
Any updates on this? I am planning to get 235/65/17 tires for my OEM chrome 17" wheels (which are the same wheel as your SAP wheel). Just wondering if the install went ok and if there were any fitment issues..
As in if you can get 245/70 on 17" OEM SAP wheels then 235/65 should definitely be OK with my chrome 17" wheels...

Thanks!

#16 ·
vpasla1 said:
Stock fitment was 225/65/17. You'll have absolutely zero issue going 235/65/17 on the stock rims.

The 16 inch stock rims were also 7 inches wide. Those had 235/70/16 tires.

Oh Thanks!

That's good info. I didn't know the 16" OEM rims had that size, and were 7" wide.
235/70/16 and 235/65/17 are pretty much the exact same dimensions according to tiresizecalculator.com

#17 ·
I am also trying to get bigger tires for performance purposes preferably wider tires. Right now I know stock tires on my 2006 ford escape are 235,70, R16 however, I am trying to get 245,40,R20s with a width of around 9.5 however I also saw potential 12.4 widths on a different size. So any recommendations? I want to get wider however I don't want to damage the car ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.