Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2011 FEH Radiator Fans Not Coming On

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  bangster 
#1 ·
I just bought a very low mileage (60,000 miles) 2011 Escape Hybrid. I quickly discovered that neither of the radiator fans are coming on. It is my understanding that on a hybrid one of the fans should come on at all times. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have done a lot of diagnostics. First I powered the fans directly from the battery and both fans work. I checked the voltage at the relays and they are getting power. I pulled all 3 fan related relays and bench tested them and they are all working. I checked the 40A fuses for the fans and they are good. I did all these checks with a multimeter, not just a visual inspection.

What else is between the fuse box and the fans that could be causing the problem? It could be a faulty wire somewhere but this is such a low mileage, clean Escape that everything under the hood is in great shape.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
What are current ambient temps? If you put on the AC or defrost does one/both of the cooling fans come on?

Why would one of the fans always come on with the Hybrid? Because it uses the AC to cool the HBV? If it is a year that has a HVB cooling fan, is that what you are thinking of? Are you getting a fault that is causing the "Stop Safely Now" message or just curious?

#4 ·
The 2008 Hybrid wiring diagram shows that F27 provides power to the control side of the relay (and the PCM commands it with a ground), but that is likely different for your 2011.

Depending on which of the 3 relays it is, either pin 1 or pin 2 (or if the pins are numbered 85, 86, 87, 87a, 30...then pin 85 or 86) should have 12v (I think it is switched so needs to be in run), and the other should be open unless the PCM is commanding that relay to be on, and should be ground when commanded on.

#6 ·
If the control side (not the 40 amp for actually powering the fans) is getting power, the relays work, and you can bypass the relay and the fans come on, then the PCM is never commanding them on. I find it hard to believe that all three fan control wires from the PCM are bad (and I don't think one, even "FC3" alone could cause the fans to not work at all). I don't know what controls the power side in the BJB for your 2011, as I don't have the wiring schematic for it, and the hybrid 2011 doesn't show a fuse for it like the 2008 does.

I am only assuming it is similar to the 2008 and relays are powered always and it is the ground that controls if they are energized or not. I was digging in my boxes of car parts and found my relay circuit tester, I think yours have the 1/2 sized DIN relays? I added spots on top to be able to check for power and to provide ground or power with it in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.