Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Which shock to buy ? KYB Monroe Gabriell

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  68Kustom 
#1 ·
Hello -
I just bought a 2012 Escape 2WD 4-cylinder for a a 2nd "run around" car. I have driven a Tahoe and full size trucks for decades, so I especially like that it is easy on the gas. It needs tires, so I am going to buy BFG All Terrain 245/70-15. Seems like a good size and only a 1/2" taller, so gearing should not be affected significantly.
ShockWarehouse shows KYB, Gabriel and Monroe shocks and struts. All about the same price. Any opinions pro/con ? Thinking about the 30mm spacer for the front, too, to level it out...I have the front shock brace ordered and on the way, BTW...At 120k miles, I will freshen up any worn front end parts. Also, I see Moog has one front spring for 4 cylinder and another for 6 cylinder. The 6 cylinder spring specs are not that much more than the 4 cylinder front spring, So I was going to order those on my new struts. Should firm it up. I am tired of having to slow way down for speed bumps and potholes, etc. I cross to Mexico a lot...Thanks ! Chris

#2 ·
15 inch rims may not clear the caliper.

I'm not too familiar with the rest of the suspension questions. But the V6 will be heavier than the I4, so the spring rate difference will be to compensate for that. It might sit a little higher in the front if you use the 6 cylinder springs on a 4 cylinder Escape.

#3 ·
Oops - Typo

Stock 16" wheels (not 15"). My bad...looks like a lot of people have used that size tire on their Escape...Yea, with the 6 cylinder spring, I might not need the 30mm spacer to raise the front.

Anybody ever done this before ?

Thanks,
Chris

#4 ·
Update -

I bought the BFG All Terrain 245/70-16 which are mounted on the stock aluminum 16" wheels a couple of months ago and really like them. Even with the 4-cylinder, the gearing is still perfect, doesn't rub anything, looks great and goes on all condition roads with ease. I, also, installed the strut brace which seems to be a winner, too.

Still plan on buying new shocks/struts...probably go with the KYBs...probably try the 6-cylinder springs.

I am taking before/after photos as I go along, so I will post them when I am able..Can't say enough about the new tires.
Money well spent !

Chris

#6 ·
KYB. All day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.