2014 Sony Amp Subwoofer Wire Colors?

Stereo, speakers, A/V, Sirius, amplifiers, navigation, wiring, more

2014 Sony Amp Subwoofer Wire Colors?

Postby nickelfault - March 10th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Does anybody know what colors the subwoofer wires are for the Sony amp? I've spliced off the front speakers for the high level inputs on my amp but have an LC7i on the way that should be in this week. As I'm not sure if those speakers are full range, I'd like to use the LC7i's channel summing to sum the front speakers, tweeters and the subwoofer but am not sure of the wire colors for the sub. I used this diagram in which the colors are correct for almost everything, except the front tweeters are reversed and the colors don't exist for the subwoofer.

If nobody knows the colors, does anybody know how to get the panel off in the back so I can look at the wires on the subwoofer? Any help is greatly appreciated!
nickelfault

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2014 Sony Amp Subwoofer Wire Colors?

Postby nickelfault - March 14th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Well I managed to get the rear panel off where the subwoofer is to have a peek at the wire colors. If anybody else is interested, here are the colors:

Set 1
Violet/Green - Positive
Grey - Negative

Set 2
White - Positive
Blue - Negative

I've now completed the upgrade of every speaker & tweeter in there except the center one and it sounds absolutely fantastic in there now!
nickelfault

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Escapeism - March 15th, 2014, 3:17 am

:pics:

Ha, just kidding. I am jealous. I bet it does sound great. Please share your equipment specs and any other good facts. This mod is on my cars bucket list.
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0 4WD - Lightning Blue - Panoramic Roof - Tow Package - Sport Appearance Package
Escapeism

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2017 Escape Titanium 4WD

Postby nickelfault - March 15th, 2014, 6:48 am

I didn't take too many pictures, but I did take a few. You can check them out below. Here's the equipment list of everything I installed:

2 x Scosche Revopak4 4-Gauge Revo Amplifier Wiring Kit
2 x Alpine SPS-610C Component Speakers (Both front and back replaced with these)
1 x JL Audio HO210G-W3v3
1 x JL Audio JX1000/1D Amplifier
1 x JL Audio XD400/4 Amplifier
1 x AudioControl LC7i Six Channel LOC

I wanted to go all JL Audio but the mounting width for the door speakers is only about 5 inches and I didn't want to have to cut my doors. I did have to drill new holes for the Alpines and use the adapter that came with them, but after that they went in like a glove. I have to remove my front door panels again to install new crossovers for the tweeters, so I'll try and get a couple pics when I do that. Right now the front tweeters are hooked up to the factory amp because I essentially melted the wires on the front crossovers because I had them hooked up wrong. It still sounds stellar in there, but when I get the replacement crossovers I want to have them driven by the XD400 like the rear ones.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anybody has if they're planning on upgrading their system as well. It took me probably 30 - 40 hours before I got everything set up perfect.

Here's the front door panel ripped off and the old speaker in there still:

Back panel ripped off:

Additional amp installation (before I installed the LC7i):

Final result:
nickelfault

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Escapeism - March 15th, 2014, 7:22 am

Wow, uber sweet! :thumb:

I see the alpine tweeters run off the woofers, so I guess you had to fish the tweeter wires back into the door? I have been eyeballing those alpines as well. My goal is to do all four doors with these alpines and replace the center channel speaker on the dash. But I might just stick with the stock amp for now, and add sound deadening material in the doors(since I'm in there anyway) and behind the factory sub.

PS, and after seeing the panel removed where the sub is, I may get another trunk light from ford and install one on that side as well. :thumb:
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0 4WD - Lightning Blue - Panoramic Roof - Tow Package - Sport Appearance Package
Escapeism

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby nickelfault - March 15th, 2014, 7:31 am

Thanks man. Yeah I just put the rear crossovers on the inside of the doors in the back. I'm going to do the same with the front ones when I get the replacements. I just left my center channel speaker running off the factory amp. When I pulled the stock door speakers out it says they are only 25 watts, so if you do end up going with those Alpines which are 80 watts a piece, you're definitely going to want an aftermarket amp to drive them. It was actually quite easy adding amps to this setup since all the wires you need to splice are already at the back. You will definitely want an LOC with channel summing though so you get full-range to the amplifiers and let them do their thing. I ran my setup without the LC7i while I waited for it to come in the mail, and wow what a difference when you feed it the tweeter, mids and sub channels. It's a must if you plan on upgrading!
nickelfault

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby nickelfault - March 15th, 2014, 9:00 am

Took a little video of the sound, you'll need to listen with a subwoofer if you want to actually hear the low frequencies. This does no justice to the actual sound, but it's the best I could do :) It's about 1/4 volume.

And here's at about 3/4 volume. There's no distortion inside, it sounds like *s**** because it's too much for the little camera mic.

nickelfault

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Escapeism - March 17th, 2014, 3:29 am

I'm interested about when you do the front door tweeter replacement. I know in the rear doors the tweeter is run off of the woofer. But in the front doors I don't see any wires coming off the woofer to run the tweets in the A pillar. Are the factory A pillar twitters run off of their own line?

I ask because all good components have crossovers and if I have to run a line from the door to the A pillar tweeter location that might be the worst part of the job.
Escapeism

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby nickelfault - March 18th, 2014, 1:31 pm

The front tweeters are fed directly into the factory amp. That's why I ended up burning up the two front crossovers, I thought I could get away with hooking them up (the crossovers) directly up the XD400, but the SPS-610's have another coil that the crossover needs to sit behind (odd setup, and the directions were crap). What I'll have to do is find the tweeter wires in each door, splice or cut them then hook the crossover up to them since I'm not going to run new wires. Why Ford chose to run the front tweeters directly off the factory amp and the back differently I have no idea.

One thing I noticed the other day though is my backup sensors are very quiet now because I am only using the front speakers for high level inputs. The front sensors are still nice and loud. I think the only way I'd get around that is with another LOC that supports more than the 6 channels the LC7i has. This isn't a huge deal to me at the moment though since good sound is my priority :)
nickelfault

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby nickelfault - March 21st, 2014, 4:22 am

I got my replacement crossovers a couple days ago so I'll be installing them today or tomorrow and will try to get a few more pics.
nickelfault

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next

Return to Audio/Video Mods